Rotini & Rubies
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup diced onion (fresh or pre-diced)
- 1 14 1/2 oz. can diced tomatoes in juice, do not drain
- 1 16 oz. jar Greenwood Sliced Pickled Beets
- 8 oz. Italian sausage, cooked and crumbled
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 8 oz. (about 3 cups) rotini
Heat oil in large skillet. Add onion and cook for 3 minutes. Drain and dice beets. Add all ingredients except pasta. Cover and let simmer 20 minutes. While sauce simmers, cook pasta and drain. Add cooked pasta to sauce, and toss to blend. Serve at once with parmesan cheese if desired.
Rotini is a corkscrew twist-shaped pasta also called fusilli. The spiraling curves of this pasta hold the ruby-colored beets, tomato, and sausage bits for a burst of flavor with every bite.